Retailers can educate and inspire consumers08 December 2016
It also showed POS is particularly valued by younger consumers. Having made their purchase of beef, lamb or pork, half of all 18 to 34-year-old consumers asked were likely to read the information on secondary labelling. Cooking times and instructions were clearly one of the most valued forms of communication at POS, especially the case among younger consumers
AHDB Beef & Lamb Head of Trade and Product Development Mike Whittemore said: "Over the last year we have seen a shift in retailers’ approach to POS, with many cutting the information they make available at point of purchase.
"We wanted to do some detailed research into whether or not POS and secondary labelling does have a place at the meat fixture or if it is simply a distraction.
"This is even more prevalent amongst younger consumers. To keep red meat at the centre of the plate, these consumers need to have the skills and knowledge to cook these cuts. They also need to know how they can be used in dishes that fit into their lifestyles - more convenient and versatile - and POS can provide that knowledge.”
- Secondary labelling can be an important influence on purchasing decisions of red meat – especially among younger consumers (18 to 34-year-olds)
- Younger consumers lack cooking skills and confidence as well as meal inspiration – all of which can be overcome by secondary labelling
- Simple cooking instructions, meal inspiration ideas and full recipes offer the best opportunity to educate consumers and boost red meat sales
- Secondary labelling has more impact and can help influence choice on new and unfamiliar cuts especially
- The optimum position for secondary labelling is the bottom right-hand side on the front of MAP packaging, which is the consumers’ preferred packaging type.
08 December 2016
Retailers and processors could be missing a trick when it comes to educating and inspiring consumers about red meat says research from AHDB Beef & Lamb....more »
22 November 2016
AHDB Beef & Lamb has launched a series of ‘mini makeover’ videos to mark the introduction of the Winter and Mini Roast point of sale (POS) kits. The new videos...more »
18 November 2016
AHDB Beef & Lamb has produced a special new guide, called Butchers Club Featured Cuts, which focuses on beef and lamb mini joints....more »
10 June 2016
More than three quarters of consumers have been put off buying steak after a bad experience with a tough cut – with one third of those saying they waited at least...more »
03 May 2016
More than 15 members of front-of-house staff and chefs undertook courses in AHDB Beef & Lamb’s Meat Education Programme to improve their understanding of beef and...more »
News archive >>